Aim: The aim of this study was to develop a nanofiber-based dressing capable of local sustained delivery of 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (1,25(OH)2D3) and augmenting human CAMP induction. Materials & methods:Nanofibrous wound dressings containing 1,25(OH)2D3 were successfully prepared by electrospinning, which were examined in vitro, in vivo and ex vivo. Results: 1,25(OH)2D3 was successfully loaded into nanofibers with encapsulation efficiency larger than 90%. 1,25(OH)2D3 showed a sustained release from nanofibers over 4 weeks. Treatment of U937 and HaCaT cells with 1,25(OH)2D3-loaded poly(ϵ-caprolactone) nanofibers significantly induced hCAP18/LL37 expression in monocytes and keratinocytes, skin wounds of humanized transgenic mice and artificial wounds of human skin explants. Conclusion: 1,25(OH)2D3 containing nanofibrous dressings could enhance innate immunity by inducing antimicrobial peptide production.
View the full article HERE.
Date of publication: 4 July 2018; Future Medicine
Author information: Jiang Jiang (1); Yang Zhang (2,3); Arup K Indra (2,4,5,6); Gitali Ganguli-Indra (4,6); Mai N Le (4); Hongjun Wang (1); Ronald R Hollins (7); Debra A Reilly (7); Mark A Carlson (8,9); Richard L Gallo (10); Adrian F Gombart (2,3); & Jingwei Xie (1)
(1) Department of Surgery, Transplant & Holland Regenerative Medicine Program, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198, USA
(2) Department of Biochemistry & Biophysics, Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
(3) Nutrition Graduate Program, School of Biological & Population Health Sciences, College of Public Health & Human Sciences, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
(4) Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
(5) Department of Dermatology, Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), Portland, OR 97239, USA
(6) Knight Cancer Institute, OHSU, Portland, OR 97239, USA
(7) Department of Surgery – Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198, USA
(8) Department of Surgery – General Surgery & Genetics, Cell Biology & Anatomy, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198, USA
(9) Department of Surgery, VA Nebraska – Western Iowa Health Care System, Omaha, NE 68105, USA
(10) Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093, USA